Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Veggie Stir Fry with Peanut Sauce

One of the challenges I knew I would eventually face in creating this blog was the time it takes to actually cook food and create blog entries.  Medical school doesn't really allow for free time, and when it does I feel guilty about doing other things besides studying.  That being said, I'm also a champion procrastinator. 

I'm also not the kind of person to tell myself I can't keep up with the things I want to do just because of med school.  So my goal for right now is to post at least one blog entry per week.  I also am going to try and make posts out of previous recipes I've tried and keep them lined up in case of a totally crazy, busy week-- exam weeks are hell. 

Last night I did manage to make a recipe that's only part mine, and chock full of veggies!

Vegetable Stir Fry with Mama Pea's Peanut Mmm Sauce
  • 1 large carrot cut into thin strips
  • 1 red bell pepper cut into thin strips
  • Half of a small red onion, cut into strips
  • Half a head of broccoli cut into bite sized pieces
  • 1 T Sesame Oil
  • 1/4 cup of brown rice (dry)
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • Mama Pea's Peanut Mmm Sauce
This is only one serving, mainly because I was only cooking for myself, also because I will eat all of those veggies alone.  Increasing the amount of rice and veggies will increase the serving size.  The Mmm Sauce definitely makes more than just one serving.

I started the brown rice about an hour before I wanted to eat because the rice I used takes 50 minutes to simmer.  While the rice is cooking, cut up all of your veggies (my broccoli was frozen-- it came in my CSA share and I had to boil and blanch most of the broccoli before it went bad-- it's so nice to have local frozen veggies on hand!)

Gather up all of the ingredients you'll need for the Mmm Sauce.  I did not have a lime so I left out the lime juice and it still turned out okay.  I also had to substitute Fire Roasted Tomatoes for just regular diced tomatoes.  Clearly I have an obsession with Trader Joes. 

Add all veggies to a wok or saute pan with the sesame oil and cook to your liking.  I keep my vegetables a little crispy to avoid losing all of the nutrients by over-cooking.  While these were cooking, I made the Mmm Sauce by combining all ingredients in a food processor.  So simple.  

 When the rice is done, add to the wok with the veggies.  Then add as much Mmm Sauce to the wok as desired.  I go light on sauces in general because I don't like my food swimming in a puddle of extra sauce. 

Add to your serving bowl and enjoy!  I had leftover sauce so I'm totally making this again, or coming up with a salad where I can use it as a dressing.  

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment