Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Rhubarb

My favorite place to visit on Saturday mornings is the Saco Farmer's Market.  This weekend was the first chance I had to go.  There wasn't much for vegetables, mostly plants, but I was able to pick up a pound of rhubarb.  What to do with rhubarb?  Make strawberry rhubarb pie!

I used this recipe, since I have never made strawberry rhubarb pie before.  I prefer crumb topping to a second pie crust on top, so I searched for just that. 

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
(see ingredients and directions via link)

 First, chop your rhubarb into 1/4 inch pieces and slice strawberries.  Doesn't matter if your rhubarb is completely red or not. 


Then add sugar and cornstarch and stir until dissolved into the fruit.  It will look shiny, as if the fruit has a glaze on top of it.  Add the fruit mix to your pie crust.


It looks pretty just like this!


Mix together the crumb ingredients and add COLD cubed butter to the flour mixture to make the topping.  I have failed to use completely cold butter before.  Disaster.  I also have to admit that I finally bought a pastry blender/cutter so that I can make proper crumbs.  Add crumb topping to the pie. 


Bake pie for 50 minutes, covering the edges halfway through with foil to prevent them from burning.


I can't take credit for those pretty edges; that was all Ryan.


I brought this to our weekly Game of Thrones gathering, while it was still warm, where we dug in without a proper cake server, so my apologies for the lack of an aesthetically pleasing pie photo.  It still tasted amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment