Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Homemade Granola

I'm back!  I took my boards yesterday and can finally get back to cooking, blogging, and having a life!  I actually made the granola in this recipe a couple of weeks ago, but haven't had the time to write a post, so here it goes.

My favorite granola from the grocery store is pretty expensive.  Along the order of $6.  I usually convince myself to buy it anyway because I love it, it's a local Maine brand, and I eat it every morning with my yogurt.


 For the sake of my bank account, and because I'm moving to another state this summer that may not have this Maine brand of granola, I have been trying to create a version that is almost the same, based on this nice, wholesome list of ingredients:


Here's the glitch: I have always failed when it comes to making granola.  I see recipes all over the blogs I read about making granola, and I will follow the recipe and directions perfectly only to burn the entire batch within a few minutes of putting it in the oven. 

I'm don't know if it's my oven causing the problem but I decided to try one last time and watch the batch like a hawk. 

Coconut Almond Granola
You'll need:
  • 2 cups rolled old fashioned oats
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
  • 1/4 cup + 2 T agave syrup
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or use a non-stick baking sheet.
  3. Mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl.
  4. Spread the granola out on a baking sheet and put in oven.

Now here is the part where something usually goes wrong, so the rest of the cooking process is a little tedious to ensure granola that is not burnt!

Cook for 4 minutes at 350 degrees, then remove sheet from oven, and flip granola.  Since the edges seem to cook faster, try to spread the middle oats out to the edges.  I usually use my spatula to pile all of the granola back in the center and then re-distribute.  Luckily my handsome sous-chef was willing to be my photographer so that I can show you:


Return to the oven and cook for another 3 minutes and remove.  Flip and re-distribute granola again:


Finally, cook for 2 more minutes then remove for good.  I knew it was done when the edges were getting very brown and the almonds looked light brown and toasted. 


It tasted very similar to the Mainely Maple granola from the store, but with the addition of coconut.  This granola doesn't create lots of clusters like some granola, probably because I used a minimal amount of agave, but adding some dried fruit and bulkier nuts like walnuts or hazelnuts would help create clusters. 

I've been enjoying this with yogurt, ice cream, applesauce, anything I can put it on.  I'm so glad the granola challenge was finally a success!


No comments:

Post a Comment