Sunday, August 5, 2012

Three Bean Salad

This post comes to you from the sunny beaches of the Outer Banks, lovingly known as "OBX" to my family, annoyingly know as "OBX" to one... two... three other boys I know whose initials might be M & R & D :)

I spent the last six days of my summer with these crazies:


There was a time where being the second oldest of the family put me at the very bottom of that pyramid:


Not anymore.  The top three remain the same, though.  I digress, let's move on to the food. 


Three Bean Salad
You'll need:
  • 1 can garbanzo beans
  • 1 can cannellini beans
  • 1 can kidney beans
  • 2 stalks celery
  • 1/2 a small red onion
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/3 cup red wine or apple cider vinegar, whichever you prefer
  • 2 T sugar
  • salt and pepper to taste
Start by draining and rinsing your beans.





 Next, chop the celery and red onion into small pieces, almost minced.




Whisk together the oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper, then add beans, veggies, and dressing together in a bowl and mix well.




I make this every. single. week.  You can eat it alone, on top of spinach or other lettuce, in a wrap or pita, there are endless possibilities.  I recommend making it at night and letting it sit in the fridge until the next day so that it absorbs the dressing.  It's really very simple and inexpensive!  This was the only cooking (errr...mixing) I did at the beach, but more recipes to come this week!



No comments:

Post a Comment