Saturday, January 21, 2012

Shredded, Souped, and Roasted

Yesterday I woke up to some more snow!  I love being up early in the morning when the snow hasn't been touched by cars or footprints or the sun yet, and it lays just where it fell during the night.

One of my roommates and I have a workout space set up in our basement next to a giant sliding glass door and I'm so glad I got to look at this...


... the entire time that I was doing this:

I have been a faithful Bar Method student since 2009.  I'm planning on doing a post all about this at some point soon.  They don't have classes up here in Maine, so I work my way through three different Bar videos that I have.

The shredded part of my day was breakfast.  Shredded potatoes and 2 scrambled eggs (1 full egg, 1 egg white).  I made this all before I shoveled out my car, then decided it would be so much more enjoyable AFTER being out in the cold, so I warmed it up after coming back inside.


The souped part of my day was lunch.  My lunch is usually either dinner leftovers or one of the very very few canned soup varieties that I will actually consider buying and eating.  Yesterday's variety was Trader Joe's Organic Lentil and Vegetable soup complete with whole wheat bread with Earth Balance and one of these bars that I made on Tuesday and can't stop eating!

This picture is kind of pathetic, I know.

The roasted part of my day featured an actual recipe (finally). 

Roasted Apple and Beet Salad
(this salad serves one)
  • 1 red beet
  • 1 honey crisp apple
  • 1 tablespoon of goat cheese
  • 2 tablespoons walnuts
  • 1-2 cups of fresh spinach
  • Maple Apple Vinaigrette- I took this recipe from my Clean Food cookbook, so I can't share the exact ingredients, but I'll hint at a few at the end.  Meanwhile, the author, Terry Waters, often has some of the book's recipes over on her site.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Place your lonely, scrubbed beet on a double layer of tinfoil.  Drizzle olive oil over the top. Wrap in the foil and place in oven, directly on rack.  Small beets take about 25 minutes... my larger beet took 50 minutes to roast.
 That is, in fact, a beet on there.  It looks like some kind of scary bug in the photo. 

Leave skin on apple and chop into small pieces.  Put apple pieces in a roasting dish, making sure they are in a single layer.  Roast for 25 minutes.

While apples and beets are roasting, prepare salad dressing.




This salad dressing mixer is one of my all-time favorite kitchen tools.  And I just thought it was cool to take a pic of all the colored layers before mixing it up!


When roasting is finished, peel skin off of beets, add all ingredients to a large salad bowl and top with dressing!
Forgive the shadow above the photo.  I need photography help. 

Where the ingredients are from:
    Beets: Wolf Pine Farm CSA
    Apples: Wolf Pine Farm CSA
    Goat cheese: Hannaford's (Vermont brand chosen for proximity)
    Walnuts: Whole Foods
    Spinach: Trader Joe's
    Dressing ingredients:
        Apple Butter: Sticky Bottom Produce, Hatteras Village NC (bought when I was visiting!)
        Raw Apple Cider Vinegar: Ricker Hill Orchards, Turner, ME
        Maple Syrup: Vermont (bought when I was visiting!)
        Dijon Mustard: Hannaford's (Maine brand chosen for proximity)

This is a shout out to one of my most admired classmates, Ruth, who is the reason I even joined the Wolf Pine Farm CSA and have all these wonderful veggies to work with!  Thanks Ruth!

No comments:

Post a Comment