Sunday, February 19, 2012

Pretend like it's the weekend...

I spend most of my winter weekends here:

Doing this:

With these people:

On weekends when I'm not on the mountain, I make vegan pancakes.  I've probably tried upwards of 20 different recipes over the past 2 years.  Here are some of my favorites.

Apple upside down pancake with strawberry jam:

Blueberry cornmeal pancakes with powdered sugar:

Whole wheat brown sugar and banana pancakes with maple glaze:

This last photo shows the most recent... which was this past Wednesday morning's breakfast.  Nothing like making banana pancakes to pretend like it's the weekend :)


Whole wheat brown sugar and banana pancakes

  • 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (aka white whole wheat flour)
  • 1 t baking powder
  • 1/8 t salt
  • 2 T brown sugar (I used Sucanat)
  • 1/2 t cinnamon
  • 1/8 t nutmeg
  • 1/3 cup vanilla unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/2 T vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 large ripe bananas, mashed (I freeze extra banana halves to use in smoothies)
  • 1 T butter or earth balance, melted
Mix all the dry ingredients together.  
Measure out milk and vanilla and whisk together.  Add to dry ingredients.
Add mashed bananas and stir.
Add melted butter and stir.  

If the batter is a little thick, add 1 T of milk at a time, stirring in between tablespoons, until thinner.  

Maple Glaze:
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup (the REAL kind)
  • 1/4 cup + 2 T powdered sugar
  • 1/2 t vanilla extract
Combine, stir, try not to eat it all with a spoon straight from the bowl, and pour over pancakes.  

I make small pancakes (4" diameter = small) and got about 12 out of this recipe.  

Don't ever skip breakfast!  It's just too delicious.  And thanks Jack Johnson, for facilitating the title of the post.  I was singing your song the entire time I was cooking.  

No comments:

Post a Comment