Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Variations on a successful dish

The goal of my medical school cooking endeavors is to find something that's A) relatively easy to throw together and 2) something I want to eat for at least a few days... or all five lunches of the week.  Cooking for one person is hard to do.  I end up with a lot of leftovers that I get sick of really quickly, or end up throwing out.  I LOATHE wasting food (Mere Plunkett if you're reading, do you remember who used to say that??).  The squirrels and birds in my backyard are spoiled by my inability to make small amounts of food.  I just can't throw it in the trash.

I already showed you how easy it was to make Quinoa and Greens.  This week I made it again using kale instead of mixed winter greens because my town has a winter farmer's market!  Who knew??  I discovered it this past Saturday.  It's amazing what I find when I come home early from snowboarding.
 I bought two bunches because it looked so fresh!  I still have to figure out what to do with the other one.  If you don't like the idea of kale, I apologize ahead of time.  I'll cook the other one with something garlic-y, that always helps.

After cooking the quinoa and kale I threw in an entire can of chickpeas to bulk it up.  Great decision:

I've been eating this for three days, still not sick of it!  One serving left, that means I'm cooking again tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment