Friday, March 2, 2012

Snow Day!

It figures, as soon as I hit submit on my last post about Maine having a crappy winter this year, we get 10 inches of snow dumped down on us.  No complaints here, I slept in until 10 am and spent the rest of the day being lazy and studying with my favorite person. The snow was still coming down by 6 pm, so I decided it was time to cook up a warm and hearty dinner.

Sausage Jambalaya
adapted from Peas and Thank You

You need:
  • 4 sausages, sliced
  • 2 bell peppers, chopped
  • 1 cup onion, chopped
  • 1 cup celery (2 stalks), chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 t dried basil
  • 1 t dried oregano
  • 1 t dried parsley
  • 1 can organic diced tomatoes (I used Muir Glen)
  • 3 cups cooked brown rice or quinoa
  • salt and pepper to taste

The original version of this recipe calls for meatless sausages for people who'd like to make this dish vegan.  However, I had legit pork sausage in the freezer that I bought at a farm stand in Scarborough way back in the fall specifically to make Jambalaya.  You could use turkey sausage as well.

As for the rice vs. quinoa?  I used 2 cups of rice and 1 cup of quinoa.  I prefer rice in my Jambalaya but only had 2 cups.  Go quinoa if you're using meatless sausage and want the protein boost.

First things first, get your rice/quinoa cooking unless you've done this ahead of time.  Brown your sausage for 5 minutes in a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray.  


Next add all your veggies and garlic to the skillet and cook for another 7-8 minutes.


Add the spices, salt, and pepper and cook another minute.  Then pour in your can of diced tomatoes.  Don't drain the tomatoes, you'll want the little bit of liquid in the pan.  Bring to a low boil, reduce heat, and let simmer for 10 minutes.

Add the rice/quinoa to the skillet and stir well.  Let simmer for another 10 minutes so the grains can absorb the flavor.  


Serve immediately after freezing outside in the blizzard shoveling snow and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment