Thursday, July 26, 2012

Sweet Potato White Bean Burgers

While I would love to take credit for all of the wonderful recipes I re-create, I just can't.  Most of the recipes I blog come from the creative minds of the bloggers that I follow religiously.  I always post links to the original recipes to give well-deserved recognition and to show the adaptations that I have made.  Today's recipe comes from the wonderful world of Pinterest, and here is the original link from a blog called Healthy Happy Life. 

Sweet Potato White Bean Burgers
You'll need:
  • 2 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 large sweet potato, peeled (or 2 small sweet potatoes)
  • 2 T tahini
  • 2 tsp maple syrup
  • 1 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
  • 1/4 cup brown rice flour
  • black pepper, cayenne pepper, and salt to taste
  • panko bread crumbs
  • olive oil for the pan
Directions:

Start by peeling and cubing the sweet potato and boiling for 10 minutes.   Mash potato and beans together into a paste.  I left some chunks of potato and beans for texture.  Mix in tahini and maple syrup until distributed, then add flour and seasoning.  Heat 2 T of olive oil in a large skillet.  You may need more depending on the size of your pan.  Form patties with the potato-bean mixture and coat on both sides with panko bread crumbs.  These "burgers" will be a little sticky... this is more like working with cookie dough than burger meat.  Cook in pan for 3 minutes on each side, then lay on paper towels to drain some of the excess oil.

Tips:

This recipe said to make 4 burgers out of the potato-bean mixture.  I did this, but ended up with 4 huge burgers.  I would probably try to make 6 instead.  You will need more oil for the pan if you need to cook in batches.  They will be crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, but delicious!  I kept extras in the fridge for about 5 days and just heated them up in the microwave for 1 minute for lunches.



I served mine on a wrap with romaine lettuce and red onion.  It was perfect!  A batch of these is a great idea for a meatless dinner for your family, or for quick re-heatable dinners throughout the week.  Make sure to check out the "What I Read Page" at the top of the blog for links to all of the great bloggers I follow daily!



No comments:

Post a Comment