Monday, September 17, 2012

Kohlrabi Potato Gratin

I was given a couple of kohlrabis a few weeks ago, and I really stretched out their shelf life as long as possible before finally creating a recipe for them:


They really aren't supposed to be cracked like that but I kept forgetting I had them.  In fact, I cut them up before I even planned to use them and threw the cubes in the freezer until I needed them:


Kohlrabi and Potato Gratin
you'll need:

  • 2 kohlrabi, peeled and cubed
  • 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1 1/3 cups milk
  • 3 T flour
  • 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/8 t white pepper
  • 1/8 t black pepper
  • pinch of nutmeg
  • 1/3 cup bread crumbs
Grease a glass baking dish and fill with potato and kohlrabi cubes.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. 



Create sauce by whisking 1 cup of the milk over medium until steaming.
Whisk in flour and remaining milk and continue to stir until mixture becomes thickened.  This may take up to 5 or 6 minutes.
Remove milk/flour mixture from heat and whisk in cheese and spices.
Pour cheese mixture evenly over the potatoes and kohlrabi.
Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the top of the casserole.


Bake for 30-40 minutes until the top is golden brown.


I served mine with steak and spinach salad, and I will definitely make this again when kohlrabi come back in season!



No comments:

Post a Comment