Friday, September 28, 2012

Baked Eggplant Parmasean

When I go out to an Italian restaurant, I always order eggplant, either parmasean or rollatini.  No matter how many items on the menu sound delicious, I always round back to the eggplant.  Here's my attempt at making eggplant parmasean myself at home.


Baked Eggplant Parm
you'll need:
  • 1 large or 2 small eggplant
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup flour
  • 2 cups breadcrumbs or panko (or both)
  • garlic powder, parsley flakes, crushed red pepper, oregano, and dried basil to season panko
  • pasta (I used brown rice fusilli)
  • tomato sauce
  • fresh mozzarella and parmasean cheese
Notice that I don't really have any measurements with this recipe.  Making eggplant cutlets is more of a method than a recipe.  Use spices as you like them to flavor the panko, and choose any variety and amount of pasta, sauce, and cheese to accompany your eggplant.

Begin by preheating your oven to 375 degrees F. 
Slice your eggplant into approximately 1/4 inch slices.  
Set out three bowls to create an assembly line of flour, egg, and breadcrumbs.  


Dip each eggplant slice in the flour and coat on both sides.
Then dip in the egg mixture.
Then finish by coating in bread crumbs.




I used seasoned breadcrumbs for half of my eggplant and then a mixture of panko and spices (below) for the other half to see which I liked better.


Line baking sheets with foil and spray with cooking spray and arrange eggplant in a single layer.  


Bake for 10 minutes, flip the eggplant, then bake for 10-15 more minutes or until the breadcrumbs on the outside are turning golden brown.  Panko may take a little longer to get crispy.


Arrange eggplant over pasta and top with tomato sauce and cheese.  Stick the whole plate back into the oven for 1 minute or until the cheese melts, then serve.


The verdict on the breadcrumbs?  I liked the panko better!

No comments:

Post a Comment