Monday, February 11, 2013

Blizzard Weekend

I personally do not like when people complain about impending blizzards.  I have always enjoyed watching the snow fall, making the whole world white for a while.  To me, blizzards mean cozying up inside with family and relaxing.  Friday night I sat in my living room with the lights dimmed and the shades open just so I could watch the snow.  It's an excuse for this crazy-busy world to have to slow down, even if just for one night.  We could all benefit from slowing down every once in a while.


I am so blessed to live in a place where I can look at this view.   Not one cloud over the lake and those beautiful mountains. 

Ryan and I went skiing on Saturday morning with our friend Josh while the snow was still falling down.  It's my first year on skis and there was some serious powder happening at Gunstock-- not fluffy powder, but humid and heavy northeastern powder.  Josh and Ryan are excellent skiers... and excellent friends for slowing down their day to make sure I did alright navigating the piles of snow that were up to my knees until we found some trails that were better packed down. 

We also went to Josh's for some homemade pizza and just to hang out on Saturday night. 



He and his wife live in a summer rental and Ryan and I are envious of their place.  It's a cozy cabin-style home on the lake.  We love going over there to hang out and catch up-- always good food and conversation.


We decided to go skiing again on Sunday morning, hoping that the groomer was out and about on Saturday night laying down some nice corduroy.  Every one else in the lakes region must have had the same idea because there was traffic beginning a mile out from the entrance.  We had to park in a far away lot and walk all the way up to the base because the line for the shuttle bus was at least an hour long.  Nothing like a half mile hike in your ski boots-- I tried to just take in the beautiful day and ignore how much I was sweating inside my gear.


Seven runs and a lot of waiting in long lines later, we called it a day and went home to plan out 4th year rotations and explore potential residency sites. 

I promised a few days ago on Facebook (follow me @TheVeggieDoc) that I'd share my oven fried haddock recipe.  We had this for dinner on Thursday night and it was delicious and perfectly crispy!

Oven Fried Haddock
You'll need:
  • 3 T of canola oil
  • 2 haddock filets, preferably wild caught and not farmed
  • 1/4 cup cornmeal
  • 1/4 cup brown rice flour (or other flour of your choosing)
  • 1 T chili powder
  • 1 t sea salt
  • 1 t paprika
  • 1/2 t cayenne pepper
Preheat oven to 500 degrees.  If you don't do this before you prep the fish, this method of oven frying will not work. 

Heat 3 tablespoons of canola over medium high head in a large non-stick and oven safe skillet on the stove.  I do this at least 5 minutes before I prepare my fish to ensure it is hot enough. 

Throw all other ingredients into a plastic baggie and shake to mix.  Cut each haddock filet in half (if you want proper portions) so that you have four pieces total.  Toss one piece at a time into the plastic bag, zip, and shake until fish is coated.  When all four pieces have been coated, place into your hot oil skillet. 

Cook on first side for 1 minute.  Flip fish over and cook for another minute.

Then take entire skillet and put on the top rack of the oven.  Cook for 3 minutes. 

Remove from oven, set pieces of fish onto a paper towel for a minute or two to absorb some of the excess oil-- then serve. 

I served the haddock with whole wheat cous cous and steamed broccoli.  I love haddock and this recipe is one I'll be making at least once a month.  I've already made it twice in the past 2 weeks.  Ryan loved it too.  It's also gluten free if that matters for anyone!

We finished the weekend with some homemade, ever-so-slightly-undercooked, chocolate chip cookies while we watched the Grammy's.  


Tell me what you like about blizzards!  What did you do with your snowed in weekend? 

No comments:

Post a Comment