Sunday, February 24, 2013

Root Vegetable Pie

This was written in February of 2012, and I never got around to posting it.  It is the perfect recipe for winter vegetables, though, so I am sharing it now a year later!

Last week I got a giant CSA delivery: carrots, beets, rutabaga, winter greens, eggs, oats, apple cider vinegar, potatoes... and then I went snowboarding for 3 days and didn't even think about developing any new recipes.  So this week I'm pulling recipes from a few of my favorite bloggers to use up all of my vegetable loot.

Tuesday night I made Emily's Harvest Root Vegetable Pie I did make adjustment's to her original recipe, and here they are:

  • 1.5 cups whole wheat pastry flour
  • 3/4 cup Earth Balance (vegan butter)
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 5-6 tbsp cold water (as needed)
  • 5 cups of diced root vegetables (your choice!)- I used carrots, beets, white potatoes, and parsnips.
  • olive oil (as needed)
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced- I used two cloves because I did not use as many mushrooms.
  • 2 shallots, minced- I used a very small red onion because it's all I had.  And I love onions. 
  • 4 cups diced mushrooms- I used 2 cups, it was all I had.  It didn't affect the recipe at all. 
  • 1/2 cup vegetable stock- I used about 1/4 cup of red wine to cook the mushrooms instead. 
  • 4 cups cubed sweet potatoes- I used 2 cups.  My pie dish didn't look large enough to handle 4 cups. 
  • 1/2 cup almond milk- Decreased to 1/4 cup since I cut the amount of sweet potatoes in half.
  • 1 tbsp Earth Balance
  • salt and pepper (to taste)
I tried to capture each of the four steps to making this pie:

The mushrooms (smelled so good I almost ate them straight out of the pan)...  


The roasted vegetables... 


The sweet potatoes...


...The finished product!


I'm hoping to make this again in the near future and update the pictures since these seem a little blurry and I'd like to take some photos of putting the pie together.

No comments:

Post a Comment