Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Chili Weather

This past weekend I enjoyed the rare and wonderful three day weekend.  I had taken Friday off to travel and after a change of plans ended up staying home for the whole weekend.  It was glorious!  

I visited our brand new Trader Joe's for pretty flowers and did some decorating:


I went to lunch with a good friend who I didn't see all summer and walked around Art Prize:

I got to FaceTime with my nephews and their Halloween Gingerbread House:

I found a cute little round pumpkin at the apple orchard:

I took out some homemade winter wear for a freezing cold morning walk:

I tested out a new workout program and LOVED it:

And, finally, did a crap ton of cooking and meal prep on Sunday.

Sunday is my main meal prep day of the week.  Whether I get up early and get it all done, slowly work on dishes and prep throughout the day, or cook up a storm after a weekend shift, I make it work.  If this doesn't happen, our healthy eating suffers during the week.  

All this talk of chilly weather and pumpkin picking meant only one thing: Turkey Pumpkin Chili.  

I started with the chili
  • 1 small red onion and 2 cloves of garlic chopped and sauteed in olive oil
  • Add 1 lb of ground turkey to onions and garlic and cooked until browned
  • Then add 1 cup chopped bell pepper and 1 chopped jalapeno + cook for 5 minutes
  • Stir in 1/2 cup pumpkin puree, 1 can rinsed great northern beans 1 can diced tomatoes, and 1 cup veggie or chicken broth. 
  • Spice it up with 2 T chili powder, 1.5 tsp cumin, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper. 
  • Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  


Baked in a cast iron skillet:


The finishing touch?  I had roasted a spaghetti squash earlier in the week to save it from going bad with the intention of mixing it in with something.  It's so versatile and goes well with everything!  So I decided to serve the chili on a bed of spaghetti squash topped with some plain greek yogurt.  


Happy Fall, Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment