Monday, December 28, 2015

Healthy Green Bean Casserole

Last night I was out to dinner with a few other coaches.  They were all full from days of celebrating Christmas and multiple Thanksgiving-style dinners.  Each of them referenced being tired of eating green bean casserole.  I couldn't relate; I've never eaten this famed holiday dish!

I love green beans, but at home I steam them plain and on holidays my family generally sautés them with olive oil and garlic.  We're so plain.

My husband hates green beans with a passion-- refuses to eat them and asks why they are in the grocery cart whenever I buy them (for myself).  I wanted to find a healthy recipe that would make the beans taste good so that he might actually eat them!

A quick Pinterest search for ideas brought me to the Paleo Green Bean Casserole.  I made a few modifications to the recipe and will include some options in my own version below.

Healthy Green Bean Casserole

1 lb green beans - trim and cut into 2" pieces
1 package baby bella mushrooms - sliced
1 onion - cut in half and sliced thin
2 cloves garlic - chopped
2 T of clarified butter or coconut oil (v)
1 can coconut milk
1 T arrowroot or tapioca starch
salt and pepper
1/2 cup bread crumbs OR almond meal (p)

(v) = use this to make the dish vegan
(p) = use this to make the dish paleo

Start by boiling a few inches of water to steam your green beans.  Steam for 3-5 minutes.  When done, drain and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process.


Heat your butter or coconut oil in a large saute pan and, when hot, add garlic, mushrooms and onions.  Cook until soft.


Next mix the can of coconut milk and arrowroot or tapioca starch together.  Add green beans to baking dish and pour coconut milk mixture on top.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.


Add your onions and mushrooms on top of the green beans:


Sprinkle again with salt and pepper and bake for 30 minutes.  Sprinkle almond meal or bread crumbs on top and cook for another 5 minutes.


I have to be honest-- I have no reference point to compare this healtified version to the "real" thing, but the mushrooms and onions make this suitable for my husband, and I LOVED it.  If you're worried about the coconut flavor - don't be, it's very subtle and the other flavors take over.  I'm pairing this with roasted chicken and taking it to work for lunch all week!

Questions?  Email me @ theveggiedoc@gmail.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment