Sweet Potato Cauliflower Soup
- 1 large sweet potato
- half a head of cauliflower
- 1/2 a large onion (or 1 small onion)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3/4 cup of veggie broth
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 oz of cream cheese (if you buy the 8 oz cream cheese block, the ounces are marked out for you on the foil wrapping)
- 1 cup low fat evaporated milk
- 1 T butter (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
Pour in 3/4 cup veggie broth, red pepper flakes, and thyme.
Set on high for 4 hours.
When four hours is up add the evaporated milk, cream cheese and butter, if using. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
Blend the entire contents of the soup with immersion blender, regular blender, or food processor until smooth.
Serve with green onions for garnish.
- I have stopped buying veggie broth from the carton because most of the time I end up wasting some of it when I don't need all four cups. Instead I add vegetable bouillon to good old tap water. The jar of bouillon is always on hand and I can make whatever quantity I need.
- Cooking cauliflower in the crock pot will make your kitchen smell not-so-great. I promise that when blended into the soup, it becomes delicious. Great for hiding an extra serving of vegetables inside something tasty for those who don't get enough veggies.
- This soup has a bit of a kick to it due to the red pepper flakes. I loved it, but if you don't like extra heat then leave it out.
- Vegan substitutions: plain almond milk for the evaporated milk, tofutti cream cheese for the cream cheese, earth balance for the butter.